SEMA model legislation (S.B. 2248) introduced in the Florida State Legislature by State Senator Bill Posey (firstname.lastname@example.org) to amend the vehicle titling and registration classifications for street rods and create a classification for custom vehicles will be considered by the Senate Transportation Committee and the Community Affairs Committee. S.B. 2248 defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. Under the bill, kit cars and replica vehicles will be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble. The bill mirrors model legislation created by SEMA and recently enacted in Illinois, Missouri, Rhode Island, Montana and Maine.
We Urge You to Contact Members of the Transportation Committee and Community Affairs Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for S.B. 2248.
- S.B. 2248 provides specific registration and titling classes for street rods and customs, including kits and replicas.
- S.B. 2248 allows for the use of non-original materials and creates a titling criterion that assigns these vehicles the same model year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.
- S.B. 2248 exempts street rods and customs from periodic vehicle inspections and emissions inspections.
- S.B. 2248 provides that vehicles titled and registered as street rods and custom vehicles may only be used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, etc. and not for general daily transportation.
- S.B. 2248 exempts street rods and custom vehicles from a range of standard equipment requirements.
- S.B. 2248 permits the use of blue dot taillights on street rods and custom vehicles.
DON'T DELAY! Please contact members of the Florida Senate Transportation Committee and Community Affairs Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to urge their support of S.B. 2248.
Florida Senate Transportation Committee
Senator Jim Sebesta, Chair
Senator Ron Klein, Vice Chair
Senator Michael Bennett
Senator Larcenia Bullard
Senator Charlie Clary
Senator Victor Crist
Senator Alex Diaz de la Portilla
Senator Gwen Margolis
Florida Senate Community Affairs Committee
Senator Michael Bennett, Chair
Senator Mike Haridopolos, Vice Chair
Senator Charlie Clary
Senator Anthony Hill, Sr.
Senator Alfred Lawson, Jr.
Senator Ken Pruitt
Senator J. Alex Villalobos